Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Hans Eysenck


Hans Eysenck`s Theory of personality
 
Hans Eysenck`s theory of personality is structured on biological aspects of individual differences.  Eysenck wanted to discover the underlying structure of personality.  He employed factor analysis to identify the basic number of supertraits within an individual.  Eysenck`s conclusion was that all the different traits can be processed within three basic personality dimensions. 
The three dimensions were:  extraversion-introversion, neuroticism, and psychoticism.
Extraversion-introversion: introversion is when you are directing yourself with inner experiences, while extraversion focuses on attention outward on other people and the environment.  If an individual is high in introversion, they might be quiet and reserved.  An individual that might be high in extraversion might outgoing and sociable. 
Neuroticism: If you score high on this dimension, there is an indication to emotions.  This dimension is also related to moodiness.  In this dimension the individual will most likely to be emotional, or upset.
Psychoticism: People who rate high on this dimension have the tendency to have a hard time dealing with reality.  individuals might be antisocial, hostile, manipulative, and lacks empathy. 

I would say that my personality is in between extraversion-introversion.  I would say that I am a very outgoing individual, and I am sociable to an extent.  I am sociable with other when I attend outings, but I do not have tons of friends.  I keep to my few close friends.  I also don`t always need someone to always be talking to as I am a very independent person.  On the introvert side, I am quiet and reserved.  I am a quiet person with many things, like in work or in school.  I also like to keep to myself.  After categorizing myself, I would fall under the stable part of Eysenck`s theory of personality.  This is why I believe to be have an extraversion-introversion personality, rather than neuroticism and psychoticism.



No comments:

Post a Comment